With a Middle Eastern twist!
Bulgur Wheat Patties – PARVE
Prep time: 30 minutes Cook time: 30 minutes Yield: 8 medium or 16 small patties
1 cup fine bulgur wheat
1 cup water
1/2 tsp salt
1 tsp sweet paprika
1/2 tsp hot paprika
1/2 tsp turmeric
1/2 tsp cumin
1/4 tsp black pepper
2 tbs extra virgin olive oil plus extra for drizzling
1/3 cup flour
1. In a large bowl, soak bulgur wheat in 1 cup of water for 20 minutes until the water has been absorbed.
2. With your hands squeeze any water left on the bulgur wheat. Don’t skip this step, otherwise you will not be able to form the patties.
3. Preheat the oven to 375F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper
4. Add the rest of the ingredients to bulgur wheat and mix until mell combined
5. Using your hands, form patties 8 medium or 16 small patties
6. Arrange patties on lined baking sheet. Drizzle each one lightly with olive oil and bake at 375F for 30 minutes, until golden brown
Prep time: 5 minutes
1/2 cup tahini paste
2 tbs lemon juice
1/2 tsp salt
4 tbs water
1 tsp sriracha or hot sauce (more if you like it spicier)
In a small bowl, mix tahini paste, salt with lemon juice with a spoon until it thickens. Add water, 1 tablespoon at a time and mix until well incorporated (for thinner sauce, add more water, but remember that sauce will thicken slightly when refrigerated). Add sriracha or hot sauce and refrigerate until ready to use
TOMATO AND AVOCADO WHEAT BERRY SALAD WITH 3 MUSTARDS DRESSING – PARVE
Prep time: 10 minutes Cook time: 60-90 minutes Serves: 6-8
1 cup of raw wheat berries
4 cups water
1 tsp salt
1 large avocado, diced (*Note: to keep the avocados from turning black, dice them right before adding to the salad, or squeeze some lemon juice on them if preparing in advance)
1 lb mini red and yellow tomatoes, sliced in half
1 cup chopped parsley
3 mustards Salad Dressing:
1 tbs coarse ground mustard
1 tbs dijon mustard
1 tbs Stone ground Honey Mustard
3 tbs freshly squeezed juice
3 tbs extra virgin olive oil
1/8 tsp salt
3 tbs maple syrup
Put all the dressing ingredients in a glass jar a shake it well. The dressing is done. Keep refrigerated.
1. Bring 4 cups water to a boil in a soup pot. Add salt and wheat berries, reduce heat to medium, cover and cook until wheat is tender, slightly “al dente”, about 60-90 minutes
2. In the meantime, prepare the dressing and refrigerate until ready to use
3. In a large bowl, combine cooked wheat berries, diced avocado, sliced tomatoes and chopped parsley
4. Add salad dressing to taste and carefully toss all the ingredients together
MOROCCAN CHICKEN AND OLIVES – MEAT
Preparation time: 15 minutes Cook time: 90 minutes Serves: 6-8
2 lbs boneless chicken thighs
1 tsp salt
1 tbs sweet paprika
1 tsp hot paprika
2 tsp turmeric
1/2 tsp pepper
2 tsp cumin
3 tbs extra virgin olive oil
2 medium onions, sliced
5 garlic cloves, minced
1 can craked Mediterranean olives
2 plum tomatoes, diced
1/4 cup fresh squeezed lemon juice
1 cup chicken broth
1 cup fresh chopped cilantro, divided
1. Heat up olive oil in a large skillet
2. Season chicken with salt, sweet and hot paprika, turmeric, pepper and cumin.
3. Arrange chicken in the skillet and brown 5-7 minutes per side. Remove from skillet and set aside
4. In the same skillet, cook onions and garlic until onions are soft and translucent
5. Add plum tomatoes and cook for 5 minutes
6. Take the pit out of the olives by pressing gently each olive on a cutting board with the bottom of a glass
7. Add chicken, olives and chicken broth to the skillet. Bring to a boil, turn down heat and let simmer for 45 minutes.
8. Add lemon juice and 1/2 cup of fresh chopped cilantro.
9. Simmer for another 30 minutes. Adjust seasoning if necessary
10. Before serving, garnish with 1/2 cup with fresh chopped cilantro.
ROSE WATER SCENTED DRIED FRUIT AND NUT SALAD – PARVE
Soaking time: Overnight Prep time: 15-20 minutes Serves: 6-8
2 cups dried apricots
1 cup pitted dried prunes
1/2 cup raw walnuts
1/3 cup raw slivered almonds
1/3 cup raw pistachios or roasted unsalted
2 tbsp pine nuts
1 cup of water
3 tbsp sugar
1/4 tsp rose water
1/4 tsp orange blossom water
1. Soak dried fruit and nuts in water overnight, in separate bowls (use at least 2 cups of water for the apricots)
2. Take half the soaked apricots and 1 1/2 cups of their soaking water and puree in a blender. Pour into a large glass bowl.
3. Cut the rest of the apricots in quarters and add to the apricot puree
4. Cut the soaked prunes in half and add to the apricot puree
5. Drain the nuts and add to the puree
6. Add enough water to the remaining apricot soaking water to make 1 cup. Add 3 tablespoons of sugar and stir until well dissolved. Add 1/4 tsp of rose water and 1/4 tsp of orange blossom water. Add to the apricot puree.
7. Mix well together and refrigerate for 2 hours before serving.
ROSE WATER ALMOND MILK PUDDING WITH POMEGRANATES – PARVE
Cook time: 5 minutes Refrigeration time: 30-45 minutes Yield: 6-6oz servings
2 cups unsweetened almond milk
1/4 cup plus 2 tbsp corn starch
1/2 cup plus 2 tbsp sugar
4 tbsp rose water
3/4 cup raw pistachios, chopped
3/4 cup pomegranate seeds or dried cranberries
1. In a medium saucepan, combine almond milk, corn starch, sugar and rose water. Whisk until the corn starch and sugar are completely dissolved.
2. Cook at medium heat, stirring often, until it starts to thicken. Turn off heat and whisk well until thick and creamy. Let cool slightly.
3. In the meantime, prepare 6-6oz clear cups. Add a layer of chopped pistachios at the bottom. Spoon some of the rose water cream, add a layer of pomegranate seeds or dried cranberries, spoon some more rose water cream and top with pistachios and pomegranate seeds or cranberries.
4. For a creamier consistency, serve warm or at room temperature. If you like it thicker, chill in the refrigerator for 30-45 minutes
SANGRIA WITH A TWIST – PARVE
Prep time: 10 minutes plus 2 hours of freezing time for orange juice ice cubes
1 bottle of white sparkling wine like moscato or Sangria wine (it can usually be found on the Spain section of the liquor store)
2 small asian pears, peeled, cored and diced
2 small firm fuyu persimmons or sharon fruit, peeled and diced
1 orange, cut in 12 wedges
1/2 cup orange juice (or enough to fill an ice cube tray)
1. Pour orange juice into an ice cube tray and place in the freezer until completely frozen
2. Combine wine and fruit in a large pitcher and refrigerate until chilled. Before serving add orange ice cubes. (Aish.com)